Thursday, February 23, 2012

Can I make Thai Coconut Rice, originally made with sweet sticky rice, but make it with sushi rice instead?

I want to make this dessert for my brother but when i went to check out the recipes online, they said that I have to use sticky rice, because its sweet. And I was wondering if i could have the same results with sushi rice instead.Can I make Thai Coconut Rice, originally made with sweet sticky rice, but make it with sushi rice instead?
Yes it will most likely turn out tasty if made that way!Can I make Thai Coconut Rice, originally made with sweet sticky rice, but make it with sushi rice instead?
Correct do not rinse the rice and add a small amount more sugar to the mixture, and cook it slowly as the coconut milk tends to scorch, if you have a rice cooker even better or a slow oven, around 275 to 300 d F or 110-120 d C, Gas mark 1 or 2.



I make mine this way in the rice cooker, and press it into a plastic wrap line pan ( I find glass or ceramic best) and unmold it cut into squares, and then top it with fruit and more coconut milk.Can I make Thai Coconut Rice, originally made with sweet sticky rice, but make it with sushi rice instead?
Probably, as long as you cook the rice correctly (not underdone or overdone). Sushi rice IS sticky, that is why it's used for sushi. Don't rinse the rice, as this will remove the starch that makes the rice sticky. As for it being sweet...I'm assuming the Thai Coconut Rice recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, or coconut milk, both of these will sweeten it up a bit.
yes, but it will take a bit more liquid than regular short grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment